Here are a few notes from the Social Media workshop at the Sticky Church conference hosted by Suncrest last week. Countless media exist, and the experience of our group was varied, so we decided to focus on a few major SM ideas. Handout available here.
Why suggest the church use Social Media? It is a fact that being online has become a natural communication channel in today’s culture. Our approach is that we want to go where people are gathering, not just expecting them all to come to us.
A few ways the church can implement Social Media:
- Podcast your sermon
- Lead Pastor blogging tips from Greg Lee included: Find an Audience, a Groove, a Voice, a Conversation, a Partner
- Create a church facebook page, invite attenders to join in
- Microblogging tool that has grown over 1000% in the last year
- Similar to blogging except 140 characters or less
- Especially good for online small groups – also demo’d at workshop to bring in 3 Panel members listed below.
Panel Interview – I met all 3 using Social Media
Tony Steward (Lower Right)
Shared some powerful lifechange stories (from social media sources) he’s been able to hear in his role as online community pastor at lifechurch.tv.
Cynthia Ware (Upper Right)
Talked to us about social media traits/values shaping ministry. A few values she discussed were – Interactivity, Decentralization and Mobility of Social Media.
Social media is not an end in itself, but a tool that can be leveraged for Kingdom advancement.